If you’ve played “Cops & Robbers you can play “Turkeys and Robbers”.
Feeling a little “stuffed” after your Thanksgiving dinner? Here’s a fun game to get your Thanksgiving guests up and moving. Before you know it they’ll be ready for pumpkin pie.
How To Play:
- Divide participants into two groups-the "Turkeys" and the "Robbers." If you have an odd number of people, add extra people to the robbers. It is better to have more robbers than turkeys.
- Make a “nest” for your turkey eggs by making a circle (hula hoop) and placing soft balls or bean bags in the center. Start with three “eggs” but for a longer game you use more eggs.
- Mark off an area to be the "barnyard". When a turkey tags a robber they take the robber to the barnyard. The barnyard could be a tree or an area you mark off.
- Mark off a home base for the robbers. Turkeys may not enter the home base.
- Robbers can get their friends out of the barnyard by touching them.
- To win the game, the robbers must take the eggs while not getting captured by the turkeys.
- The turkeys can tag the robbers to remove them from the game or send them to the barnyard (jail).
- The robbers win if they successfully steal the turkey eggs and take them back to their "home base."
- The turkeys will win the game if they capture all of the robbers and send them to the barnyard.
- You will need to decide if the robbers can throw the turkey eggs from one another to keep them from the turkeys. We like that option especially when playing with an older group.
- If a robber is tagged while running back to the safe zone with a turkey egg, the turkeys must return the object directly to their nest. At no other time may the turkeys carry the eggs.
Turkeys and Robbers is basically just Cops and Robbers with a Thanksgiving twist. There are many variations to the game and I’m sure you have your favorite rules so feel free to tweak as necessary. For instance,you may want to create a safety zone around the nest for the robbers or decide on a time limit for robbers to be inside any of the safety zones.
Whatever variations your family decides on, Turkeys and Robbers is a great way to burn off that stuffed feeling after you’ve gobbled up Tom Turkey and all the trimmings.