A pretty sweet printable game- and it’s free!
Whenever I plan a I party or a family reunion I like to have an activity or game that people can play when they first arrive. The goal is to get family members, or friends, laughing and talking with each other. The “How Sweet It Is” free printable fits the bill and coming up with prizes for the winners is a snap- candy bars! I suggest the snack size because you’ll probably have several winners. This ice breaker game is great for large or small group games and for family members of most ages. You can download the free printable by clicking below. Don’t forget to download the answer key.
Nature Scavenger Hunt- fun activity for your family reunion
If your family reunion location is at a park or a campground this Nature Scavenger Hunt is a wonderful excuse to get outside, have some fun, and spend time together as a family.
Just print off our fun Scavenger Hunt printable on heavy cardstock and give everyone a copy along with a pencil and let the fun begin. You can work as teams or individually, it can be a race or a contest to see who finds the most items. Allow everyone an opportunity to show off their favorite find.
You can find the link for our Nature Scavenger Hunt below- or right-click on the picture above, save it to your computer, and print.
10 things every family reunion planner needs in her arsenal
Here’s my list of top ten tools I need to pull off a family reunion:
1. Divider Sticky Notes 60 Ruled Notes- I am an organization freak and these are perfect for keeping everything organized. They are like regular sticky notes but they have a tab that makes everything easier to find. They are very helpful when organizing your registration binder. You can find them at Amazon following the link below.
2. Tape- every size and every type. Be sure and include Duct tape.
3. Jumbo paper clips– It seems that every time I try to clip together a group of paper they get all messed up. The clips come off and I end up with a bigger mess than if I had just stacked them . I found these jumbo paper clips a couple of years ago and I use them for everything. They may seem pricey but after you’ve used them I think you’ll agree with me- it’s a screaming deal!
4. Ziploc bags– These bags go a long way to keeping me organized and I’m not talking about food. I use Ziploc bags to keep office supplies, game pieces, personal grooming supplies and a host of other items grouped together. For me, they have to be the bags with the zipper that slides across the top- they are faster to close and I know for sure that they are sealed. I like to put groups of items such as pencils and markers in smaller quart size bags and use gallon sized bags for larger items such as props for a game, items for a costume or all the tape variations I’ve collected.
5. Sharpie markers– more than one. I usually keep at least one Sharpie in my pocket at all times during a family reunion. A Sharpie for me and one or two to loan out.
6. A Laminator– I was so surprised to learn that I could buy a laminator for less than $20.00 and although they are pretty slow I love not gathering up all my signs, name tags and table toppers to take to the copy store for laminating . With this inexpensive laminator you can laminate documents up to 9 inches wide and it warms up and is ready to use in about 5 minutes. I still take my large jobs to the copy store but there are so many times I need to laminate a few items and this product has really saved me tons of time and trips to the store. Don’t forget the laminating pouches also available at Amazon.
7. Cell phone– You might think that’s a pretty obvious choice but when it comes to planning a family reunion it a cellphone is the perfect place to store your lists. Just a take a photo of the agreement for the rental site and you’ve got it at your fingertips when you need to show your reservation. Take a photo of your t-shirt order, family list, agenda and rules and instructions and you won’t have to run off to grab your files- they’ll be right there in the palm of your hand. (Not to mention all the phone numbers you’ll have handy)
8. Storage containers– I usually use Rubbermaid containers but paper boxes will work as well. I use one box or container for each day and time period. For instance- Saturday morning, Saturday evening and Saturday morning. As I prepare and pack for the reunion Ii I put everything I need for that time period in its box. At the reunion location I organize the containers according to the day and time when their contents will be needed. This saves me from having to dig through a jumble of boxes and bags.
9. Camera– I need my own personal camera, preferably one that fits in my pocket. (If your phone takes good pictures that may be all you need.) I don’t like to rely on others to take pictures of the reunion so I like to have my own camera to take pictures whenever or wherever I want. I like to document many aspects of the reunion for my blogs and reunion theme packages and with my personal camera I’m sure to get just the shot I’m looking for.
10. Emergency items– I’m talking about “fun” emergencies. If you have the following items you always have a fun game or activity if something doesn’t go quite right or if you have time to fill: A ball, 2 large dice and a deck of cards.
I prefer a playground ball that you can kick, jumbo dice and a regular deck of playing cards. You might also want to include sidewalk chalk, colored markers, Frisbees and a rope for group jumping games.
I recently attended my nieces wedding, luncheon and reception. Everything was beautiful and I loved being part of the festivities but like most weddings and such there is a lot of downtime for those of us who are basically spectators. During one of these downtimes my brother introduced us to a fun game you can play on your phone that involves everyone.
The name of the game is Psych! Choose from a variety of fun categories in which each player makes up fake answers to real trivia questions.
According to the games own description- the idea behind the game is to get together with a bunch of friends and answer ridiculous trivia questions. The catch is, the multiple choices you’re given include the correct answer as well as a bunch of incorrect answers which are provided by the other players. So, say for instance the question popped up of “Who is the Editor in Chief of TouchArcade?” “Eli Hodapp” would be in there somewhere, along with whatever else anyone playing decides to toss into the mix as possible answers.
Anyone who knows me will understand that, after playing a few rounds of Pysch! with my family, my “reunion” brain kicked into gear and I immediately began to think of ways to use the game at a family reunion.
Can you imagine how excited the teenagers in your family would be if you asked them to get their cellphones for a game they would be playing. Psych! is a clever way to get family members that just can’t seem set their cellphones down to join in a game or activity to participate with the group.
Psych! is also a pretty fun way to get to know family members that you see only once a year at the family reunion. Some of the game options give you a real opportunity to see into your cousin’s psyche.
“PSYCH!” is the perfect app for game night, road trips, or even waiting in line. So grab your phones, gather ‘round, and get ready for a gaming experience unlike anything you’ve ever tried!
NOTE:There’s in-game ads as well, which can be removed for $2.99. If you’re just downloading the game to play with a friend (who might have bought a ton of stuff in-game), it’s totally free.
Let us make you an offer you can’t refuse-
When it was first suggested that we use “Mafia” as our theme for the Stewart family reunion I was a little apprehensive but after three days of Mafia activities over Labor Day I’ve decided that “Mafia” is just another word for “Family”. Family can also be friends, and so a Mafia theme for a reunion or party is a great idea. Included in this party pack are invitations and activities for a party or reunion for either your friends or your family.
You will have fun creating Mafia names for your guests using the list of names and name tags included in this party theme package.
Guests can also fill out an application to join the Mafia using the “Complete Mafia Dictionary” to decipher Mafia lingo.
Test your Mafia IQ to see if you should be “The Boss” or “Knuckles”.
If you are having an indoor party consider playing the party game, “Mafia”. The game of Mafia is all about the power of bluffing and knowing when other people are bluffing themselves. You can be a member of the Mafia, a towns person, the FBI or the Moderator in this elimination and guessing game. You will vote out other players and try to avoid being murdered in the middle of the night by the Mafia!
If you planning an outside party play “Steal the Flag” using marshmallow shooters. Instructions for making custom shooters are included.
Printables include invitations, The “Complete Mafia Dictionary”, Mafia Application, Mafia funny money, Mafia IQ test, water bottle labels, Mafia name tags and playing cards for the game, Mafia.
Cosa Nostran (This thing is ours!)
A Getting to know you activity before the reunion even begins
Get the family reunion started early!
If you’re looking for a fun ice breaker activity and a way to generate interest in your upcoming family reunion try “Reunion Buddies” and get the party started before the reunion even begins.
About four weeks before your reunion make a double sided copy of the “Reunion Buddies” printable using the same information on each side of the paper.
Match family members up into buddies making sure everyone, young and old has a reunion buddy.
Write one buddies name on the line that says “My Name Is” and write their buddies’ name below it on the line that says “My Buddy Is”. You will need to do this on both sides of the paper but reversing the information.
Send a copy of the reunion buddies printable to one of the “buddies” with the instructions to fill out their personal information and then mail the completed form to their buddy. Be sure and provide an address and if your reunion has the funds, a stamped envelope.
The buddy they mail the form to will complete the form and return it to back to their buddy.
Encourage buddies to spend some time with each other at your family reunion perhaps even bringing inexpensive gifts (such as their favorite candy bar) to share. You may even ask some family members to share what they learned about their reunion buddy.
The idea behind “Reunion Buddies” is to make long lasting friendships between cousins, aunts and uncles and grandparents. Get a new buddy every year!
Family reunion bingo is a great ice breaker activity for family reunions or parties of any kind. I created a family reunion bingo card several years ago that we have used over and over again. I recently received a request to create some variations to the original game and mix things ups a bit. The competed Bingo game cards are below and ready for you to play.
Family Reunion BINGO- the Basic Game
Give family members a BINGO card and a pencil and allow a few minutes for your family members to mingle as they get signatures in the bingo squares that apply to them. You can only use a person’s signature once on your bingo sheet. The game can end at this point with prizes for everyone that completely fills up their BINGO card or you can take the game a step further.
Family Reunion BINGO Variation
Write everyone’s name on a piece of paper and put it in a hat. Pull a name out of the hat one at a time and read it out loud. If a person has that name on their sheet they can put an X on that square. If they don’t have that name they do nothing. Keep drawing names from the hat until someone get a BINGO by competing a row, column, or diagonal with X’s.
I have created 5 variations of my original BINGO card that you can download and print by clicking on the file below.
This is a fun idea for an ice breaker game for your next family reunion or family party. It is even a fun idea for a work, school or church function.
Divide into groups of about 10. The groups work together to determine the total amount of points they have earned. Each team will need a team captain and recorder.
You can make up your own list of points but here are a few ideas to get you started.
1. Counting January as one point, February as two points and so on, add up the total points of your group.
2. Score one point for each college attended.
3. Score one point for every button on each shirt.
4. Total number of pennies teammates have in their pockets.
5. Total of all sizes added together- one shoe only per person.
6. Hair color score- Black hair- 2 points, Brown hair- 1 point, Red hair- 3 points, Grey hair- 5 points, Blonde- 1 point
7. Five points for everyone that is wearing glasses, 2 points for contacts.
8. One point for every child each person has, twins- 5 points, triplets- 10 points.
9. Minus 1 point for every soda or pop consumed. Plus 1 point for every glass or bottle of water.
10. 1 point for everyone that is wearing a watch.
Add up the total of points each team has and award prizes to the team that has the “most” points, “least” points, “most unorganized” etc.
An effective way to jumpstart your family reunion is with an activity that family members can participate in independently when they arrive at the reunion and are settling in. There is that awkward time when family arrives at the reunion and everyone is getting reacquainted. Experience has proven that if there is a low key activity planned it will encourage family members to mingle and get comfortable with each other again. A pre reunion activity also keeps younger family members busy and engaged while their parents are visiting and settled in.
Bead lizards or Geckos are the perfect solution. Collect a supply of different colored pony beads and some satin cording and let your family create their own Geckos.
What you’ll need for each lizard-
- 2 yards satin cording of your choice
- 1 metal keychain or lanyard hook
- 27 colored (shown as green in the above diagram) pony beads
- 21 colored (shown as orange in the above diagram) pony beads
- 2 black pony beads for eyes
They say a picture is worth a thousand words so I really recommend watching the following video to get some great instructions for making your bead Gecko. The great thing is, if you download the video to your tablet, the video will be available to your guests and you won’t spend so much time trying to give instructions as you’re registering your family members and getting them situated- they’ll be able to watch the video! The video lasts less than 2 minutes and it’s actually quite entertaining.
You can find more ice breaker ideas by following the link below
Family Reunion Helper proudly announces the completion of their latest family reunion theme- Superhero!
Now you can bring all the action-packed adventure and excitement of your favorite superheroes to your family reunion!
A superhero reunion will appeal to family members of all ages. Superheroes have unique skills, wear awesome costumes and save the world on a daily (sometimes hourly) basis.
A superhero family reunion lends itself to action-packed games, superhero training and fun activities.
This reunion theme package includes a fun printable reunion invitation, secret super power cards, water bottle labels, superhero training cards, “what’s my super power?” activity, Kapow!, Boom! and Zap! signs and fun printables for napkin rings and table decorations.
Our superhero reunion is jam packed with more than 35 pages of ideas for many of your favorite superheroes: Batman, Spider-man, Thor, Hulk, Captain America, Iron-man, Flash, Hawk-eye and even Aqua-man.
With the Superhero reunion theme your family will want to save helpless citizens, fight the forces of darkness and defeat the evil villains. Plan a superhero reunion and let your families’ powers shine. Whether they’re saving the planet or saving your family, a superhero family reunion or party will be a memorable reunion for anyone who has ever yearned to make right what’s wrong in the world.
You can find the superhero reunion theme at Family Reunion Helper.com and by clicking on the link below.